Today, Freedoms star Sofia Kenin was named the 2020 WTA Player of the Year. The WTA Player Awards are voted on by members of the international media and are broken down into five categories, including Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, and Comeback Player of the Year.
Kenin’s 2020 in Review:
- Captured her maiden Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, where she defeated WTA World No.1 Ashleigh Barty in the semifinals and former No.1 Garbiñe Muguruza in the final
- Lifted her second trophy of 2020 at the Open 6ème Sens (Lyon)
- Advanced to her second career Grand Slam final at Roland Garros
- Reached the Round of 16 at the US Open, becoming one of two players to reach the second week at all three Grand Slams in 2020 (also Petra Kvitova)
- Finishes the season at a career-high of World No.4
Gallery: Sofia Kenin’s 2020 Freedoms Season